I am so excited to be bringing to you a four-part blog series introducing you to Art Journaling with DecoArt products. A variety of paints, mediums, and stencils will be featured throughout four blog posts over this next month. So, check back each Friday for some new inspiration!
Today’s journal pages features the following DecoArt products:
- Americana Premium Gesso, White
- Dazzling Metallics Acrylic Paint, Ice Blue
- Americana Premium Acrylic Paint, Raw Umber
- Americana Premium Texture Medium
- DuraClear Matte and Satin Varnish
- Americana Stencil, Pixelated
- Personally Yours Stencil, Spirited
Key techniques for this projects:
- Using Texture Paste over a stencil
- How to apply paint to create an artistic drips
- Dab and Smudge paint application with baby wipe
- Start with treating your substrate with a coat of Gesso. I am using a heavy weighted water-color cardstock for this 6″x 6″ journal page. Allow Gesso to dry or heat set.
- Place the Pixilated stencil down over the page; using a pallette knife, apply texture paint over the stencil. Gently lift the stencil up and allow to dry or heat set.
- Place a dollop on Metallic Paint down on your craft matte and give it a few spray of water to loosen it up a bit. Take your brush and apply paint to top of the journal page. Spray the paint with water…allow to drip. Blot the drips, as you like, until you reach your desired effect. Repeat as needed. Allow to dry or heat set.
- Next, place dollop on Raw Umber Acrylic paint down on your craft matte and give it a few spray of water to loosen it up a bit. Apply page with paint brush and then blot and smudge with baby wipe until you are happy with the result. Allow to dry or heat set.
- Place stencil with the “free as a bird” saying over the journal page and apply paint over stencil with a stencil brush. Allow to dry or heat set.
- Apply paint splatters to page with Ice Blue Metallic as well as with White Gesso. Allow to dry or heat set.
- Cover the entire page with Matte Varnish.
- Stamp focal image on tissue paper. Trim around image with scissors and then adhere to journal page with Matte Varnish.
- Stamp the Cityscape stamp across the bottom of the journal page with Black Archival Ink.
- Apply another coat of Matte Varnish. Allow to dry or heat set.
- Color stamped images with Artist Pitt pens.
- Shade edges with Artist Pitt Pens.
- Cover entire page with DuraClear Satin Varnish
- Embellish with adhesive stars.
Other Products used:
- Lost Coast Designs – Cityscape stamp
- Sizzix Stamps – Fireworks & Sparklers
- Faber-Castelle Artist Pitt Pens
- Ranger Archival Ink – Jet Black
- Ms. Sparkle & Co – Star Pearls
I hope you enjoyed this initial project in this series featuring DecoArt products in Art Journaling. The steps that I outlined here today are the basics; each week I will try to build on your skills with different products and techniques.
Are you interested in a specific DecoArt product? If so, leave me a comment and I will do my best to feature it in a future post.
Hope you have a great weekend!