I hadn’t planned on making a Mixed Media piece today however, when I found a string of cool octopus beads and a metal sign (that I could re-purpose) I was inspired.
This is the before photo of the sign and octopus beads that I picked up at Michael’s…and below is the after.
I prepped the sign with Gesso and then treated it with acrylic paint and texture paste. Using a paint brush as the focal point, I then added gears, arrows, keys and some vintage finds to create a Steampunk design. Prior to adhering everything, I used Rust Effect Paste on most of the embellishments.
Then the whole piece as sealed with a Matte Varnish.
This project also fits in nicely with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge blog. This month’s theme is “Rust” so, I happily submitted this project for participation Challenge #48.
- Re-purposed sign by Ashland Wall Decor
- Octopus Beads by Bead Gallery
- Steampunk Arrows by Solid Oak Inc.
- Faucet Knobs by Tim Holtz Idea-ology
- Acrylic paints and meadiums by DecoArt
- Texture Paste by Ranger Inc.
- Found, vintage and reuse items.
- Prima-Finnabair Rust Effect Paste
Hope you enjoyed reading about this project! Also, I am hoping to have a new tutorial out within the next few weeks.