Kicking off the New Year with a project for The Mixed Media Challenge Blog. This month’s theme is “Ring in the New” and to meet this challenge, I decided to try a new technique to display my mixed media projects.
A visit to my local Wood Connection store got me what I needed, a 4″ wooden candlestick and large finial. These products will create a nice pedestal for a 6″ x 6″ stretch mixed media canvas.
This canvas was created by applying texture through a stencil and then covering with a coat of gesso. I then applied acrylic paint to the canvas and blended to create a somewhat mottled background. Script was added with a rubber stamp and archival ink. White paint splatters were added to highlight and then black paint was used to create some shadows and interest. The focal point is a rubber stamp image, stamped with archival ink on tissue paper. This element was adhered to the canvas with soft gloss gel and then colored with Artist Pitt pens. Lastly, a sentiment from the Big Chat sticker collection as added.
The candlestick and finial was painted with black paint prior to adhering to the canvas. I really love how this “canvas on a pedestal” turned out. I think the pedestal is great way to display this mixed media canvas and I think I will be applying the technique again in the near future.
- Sizzix-Tim Holtz Alterations, French Flight stamp and die set
- Club Scrap, Paris Flea Market – script stamp
- Deco Art Metallic paint, Amethyst & Berry
- Deco Art White Gesso
- Craft Smart Acrylic Paint, Envy Green & Metallic Green
- Tim Holtz Idea-ology, Big Chat Stickers
- TCW Rebekah Meier Desings Stencil, TCW525s
- Ranger, Texture paste
- Faber-Castell Artist Pitt Pens
- Artist’s Loft Acrylic paint, Mars Black
- Ranger Archival Ink, Jet Black
- Wood Connection candlestick and large finnial
Hope you enjoyed this project and will also try something new on your next artsy project too.